Intellectual Property Services
We offer Intellectual Property legal services in the following areas:
- Trademarks and Branding
- Confidential Information
- IP Audits and Due Diligence
Trademarks and Branding
According to Steven D Strauss:
“Boiled down to its basics, a brand is the essence of what makes your business unique. It combines your name, logo and purpose into an identifiable whole. It is your image, based on reality … Without your brand … you may find you are nothing to no one.”
It’s clear that branding is important, and trademarks – which are the way that the law protects brands – are important for this reason.
We offer a range of trademark and branding related services. When choosing your brand, you’ll probably need help with things like:
- business name and company registrations
- domain name registrations; and
- trademark registrations, both in Australia and overseas.
We offer legal services to help you with all of the above, and can deliver them as a package to ensure that all of the elements of your brand are work together. As you start to grow and expand your business, you might encounter problems that you need help with. These might include:
- Domain name disputes, in which different traders seek to use the same or similar domain names (e.g. www.yourdomain.com.au)
- Trademark infringements, involving allegations that others are infringing your brand, or that you are infringing someone else’s brand.
- Allegations of “misleading and deceptive conduct” or “passing off”, which are often ways to prevent competitors who are confusing people in the market place by using branding to yours.
These kinds of issues are never pleasant to deal with, but we are experienced in dealing with both sides (alleged infringers and “infringees”).
Copyright is actually a set of exclusive rights that belong to the creators of “original works”. Protected works can be as diverse as books, training manuals, screenplays, musical scores, cinematic works, sound recordings, designs, software programs, blogs, paintings and even sculptures!
We can help with a variety of copyright-related issues that arise during the course of business, including:
- copyright assignments (i.e. making sure that you own what you think you do);
- copyright licenses (i.e. making money from your intellectual property);
- copyright clearances (i.e. making sure you are really allowed to use the works of others;
- moral rights issues (.i.e. making sure you get proper credit for the works you create, and that they’re used properly)
In today’s digital world, businesses possess a staggering amount of information that can only be used in limited ways. Magnum IP Legal Services can help you to protect how your own information is used, and can advise on your obligations in relation to information that you are given.
- Protection of confidential information that you disclose to others, including suppliers, manufacturers, distributors and potential business partners;
- Use of private information belonging to others, along with proper privacy policies and procedures;
- Avoiding the contravention of the Spam Act 2003 (Cth) when using electronic communication means to communicate with customers and potential customers.
Other IP-related services
We offer intellectual property audits to businesses who are acquiring assets which have a significant intellectual property component. For example, if you are acquiring a software development company with significant revenue-generating products, you may want one of our lawyers to review specific issues relating to the ownership of the intellectual property as part of your due diligence.
There are other intellectual property services such as design registrations and patents which we are not currently offering. However, we may do so in the future, so please keep checking here!